Fostering Healthy, Beautiful Smiles
Six-month dental cleanings and check-ups are a vital cornerstone in maintaining oral health. Detecting issues in your child’s mouth before they become serious will save discomfort, money, and time. Twice yearly checkups are the general rule of thumb, but each child varies.
Dental Cleanings for Infants and Young Children
Children should see a dentist for the first time when their first teeth erupt, typically around 7 months – 1 year.
What to Expect
During a dental checkup, our dentists will perform:
- A Visual Examination: The dentist will inspect the teeth and mouth, looking for cracked or decayed teeth, as well as growths or sores on the roof of the mouth, gums, and cheek lining. The dentist will also perform an examination of your son or daughter’s lymph nodes and check for pain, tenderness, and flexibility in your child’s neck.
- Digital Diagnostics: A digital x-ray will alert the dentist of problems that cannot be seen with the naked eye. We will also use 3D imaging to determine the exact position and shape of each tooth, allowing us to better determine what treatment is necessary.
- Professional Cleaning: Our kid-friendly hygienists will perform a thorough dental cleaning, removing tartar and plaque from the teeth and below the gumline. They will wrap up the cleaning with a polishing treatment. Not only will this help teeth to look and feel great, but it will result in a smooth tooth surface where plaque is less likely to build up. We also offer fluoride treatment.
- Anticipatory Guidance: Once our team gets a good idea of your child’s dental health situation, they will provide you with age-appropriate information and techniques for keeping their smile healthy.
Dental Hygiene Tips for Children
Good oral hygiene prevents plaque and food particles from building up in your mouth. These things result in cavities and gum disease, not to mention, bad breath.
In order to keep this at a minimum, follow these four steps (and teach your child these habits):
- Brush your child’s teeth at least twice a day (once after breakfast, and once before bed).
- Floss your child’s teeth daily.
- Use a tongue scraper or toothbrush to clean your child’s tongue every day.
- Bring your child to the dentist every 6 months for a professional cleaning and checkup.
Dental Hygiene Tips for Babies
Infants require a little extra attention. When your infant’s teeth begin to show themselves, wipe them daily with a damp cloth. As they grow in further, use a soft children’s toothbrush and fluoride-free, baby toothpaste to brush. Continue this until you can trust your child to spit the toothpaste out, instead of swallowing it, which can be harmful.
For more helpful tips, visit our FAQs page.
Schedule a Dental Cleaning at Our Denver Offices
Sunshine Kids Dental & Orthodontics has two Denver offices to make it easier to choose a convenient location at our kid-friendly offices. Choose from our Green Valley Ranch, Stapleton and Aurora offices.Schedule an Appointment